We are a small specialist family law practice. We pride ourselves on being cost-conscious. We challenge traditional pricing models. We offer fixed fees for all our services.
Principal, Accredited Specialist in Family Law
“Since my admission to legal practice in 2006, I have worked as a family lawyer in many firms of various sizes and cultures. Through this experience, I have gained first-hand knowledge of what works for family law clients and what does not. In setting up Virage Legal, I aspired to take on board only the best practices and discard those that, in my opinion, were outdated and inefficient. The traditional pricing model was the first to go. I am a zealous proponent of fixed fees. It is more enjoyable to work with clients when they have certainty and peace of mind with regard to their legal costs.
Through my research, I have discovered that many commercial law firms in the UK have given up traditional time costing and have introduced fixed fees or other alternative pricing models. Many Australian commercial firms are following suit. Family lawyers, however, seem to be slow on the uptake. The vast majority of family lawyers throughout Australia stick to conventional hourly billing. At Virage Legal, we like to think we are different.”
I respect tradition, but I don’t hesitate to challenge conventions if they stand in my way…I would like to be seen as an innovative lawyer.” Julia
Julia is an Accredited Specialist in family law. This means that she has formally recognised expertise in this area of law in the Australian legal market, gained through experience and specialist accreditation.
The feedback Julia has received from her clients points to her being a highly accessible and approachable practitioner who is committed to giving clients the extra attention and time they so often need.
Since her admission to practice in 2006 and prior to setting up Virage Legal, Julia worked as a family lawyer for various firms across Australia – in Adelaide, Perth, Sydney and Canberra. The idea of creating a family law practice with a non-conventional pricing model (based on fixed fees) grew out of Julia’s experience as an employed solicitor and her realisation of the market’s drastic need for family law services that are highly professional, yet affordable, and, more importantly, accessible to all clients, irrespective of their net worth or status.
Julia has strong experience in negotiating prompt effective settlements and representing her clients in Court in all areas of family law, including:
- Division of assets (property settlement) following the parties’ separation;
- Financial Agreements (BFAs) with respect to financial arrangements between parties to a marriage/de-facto relationship prior to, in the course of, or upon a breakdown of their relationship;
- Financial support of one of the parties to a marriage/de-facto relationship by the other party following separation (spousal maintenance);
- Parenting arrangements with respect to children after separation, including in matters involving interstate and overseas relocations;
- Parentage, including in matters involving same-sex partners, surrogacy and artificial conception;
- Child support, including Binding Child Support Agreements in relation to specific child-support arrangements;
- Accredited Specialist in Family Law (Law Society of NSW)
- Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice (Law Society of South Australia)
- Bachelor of Laws (Honours) (University of Adelaide)
- Master of Arts (Technical Writing) – Stillwater, OSU, USA
- Bachelor of Arts (Linguistics) – Moscow, Russia
Julia was born in Russia and came to Australia as a young person over 25 years ago. She easily switches into Russian for any Russian clients who may need her assistance.
- Law Society of NSW
- Law Society of ACT
- Law Council of Australia – Family Law Section